Last modified: December 30, 2019
Your Privacy Rights
What Personal Information We Collect
ShipEngine collects personally identifiable information when you register on our site. The information collected may include, but is not limited to the following: email, name, phone, IP address, browser information, and address. Any comments or questions you submit may be recorded as well. Collection of information takes place at various times while navigating ShipEngine’s site and using its software, Products and Services. When entering ShipEngine’s site, information may be collected about previous sites the person has viewed. If questions or comments have been submitted via email or a forum on our website, personal information is collected as well.
How We Use The Information Collected
The goal of collecting customer and viewer information is to create a friendlier and more efficient experience while working with ShipEngine. Personal information submitted at the time of registration may be used by ShipEngine for the marketing and promotion of ShipEngine products that we feel may be of interest to you. You may “opt out” of these marketing activities during the registration process, by updating your account settings or via postal mail. We may use demographic and/or profile data to tailor your experience on our sites, show you content that we think you may be interested in, and display content according to your preferences. Furthermore, we shall have the right to retain records of all data pertaining to use of the website including, but not limited to, usage, activity logs, and click-throughs. We may disclose such data to third parties provided it is grouped with other user data and is presented in an aggregate form. We may also disclose, on an anonymous basis, statements made by our customers.
To Whom We Disclose Personal Information
We take your privacy very seriously. None of the information that is collected by ShipEngine is rented or sold to any third parties for any purpose. Limited information may be shared with a third party that has partnered with ShipEngine if that information is protected under a confidentiality obligation with that third party and is used only as a part of providing the ShipEngine service to the customer. We reserve the right to disclose information when required by law.
Removal From Our Database
To request removal from the database, please submit a support request and we will be happy to remove your information promptly. If you request that we modify or remove all of your personal information, we will promptly do so, to the extent possible. Once your personal information has been removed you will not be able to use our products or services unless you re-register.
We may use standard Internet technology, such as web beacons and other similar technologies, to track your use on our sites and software. We also may include web beacons in promotional e-mail messages or newsletters to determine whether messages have been opened and acted upon. The information we obtain in this manner enables us to customize the services we offer our visitors/customers to deliver targeted advertisements and to measure the overall effectiveness of our online advertising, content, programming or other activities.
We may allow third parties, including our authorized service providers, advertising companies, and ad networks, to display advertisements on our sites and/or Products and Services. We and these companies may use tracking technologies, such as cookies, to collect information about users who view or interact with these advertisements and connect to our sites and/or Products and Services. Our sites do not provide any personal information to these third parties. This information allows us and these companies to deliver targeted advertisements and gauge their effectiveness.
We may create links to other web sites. We will make reasonable efforts to link only to sites that meet similar standards for maintaining each individual’s right to privacy. However, many other sites that are not associated or authorized by us may have links leading to our sites. We cannot control these links and we are not responsible for any content appearing on these sites.
We use IP addresses to analyze trends, administer the site and gather broad demographic information for aggregated used. IP addresses are not linked to personally identifiable information.
This web site has security measures in place designed to protect against loss, misuse and/or alteration of the information that you provide. Furthermore, we have taken reasonable precautions to prevent any unauthorized access to the contents of this web server.
Changing Of Personal Information
You may edit your personal information at any time by clicking on the “Settings” tab when you are signed in to ShipEngine. All information may be changed including: address, email, phone and more. The new information will be updated in our system and used in the collection of information when visiting ShipEngine.
Merger Or Acquisition
Questions, Comments, Concerns
All questions, comments and concerns can be submitted by emailing [email protected]. You will receive an answer as soon as possible.
Information We Collect
We collect information that identifies, relates to, describes, references, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or device (“personal information”). In particular, we have collected the following categories of personal information from consumers within the last twelve (12) months:
|A. Identifiers.||A real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, or other similar identifiers.||YES|
|B. Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e)).||A name, signature, address, telephone number, insurance policy number, bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information. Some personal information included in this category may overlap with other categories.||YES|
|C. Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law.||Age (40 years or older), race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion or creed, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy or childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, veteran or military status, genetic information (including familial genetic information).||NO|
|D. Commercial information.||Records products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.||YES|
|E. Biometric information.||Genetic, physiological, behavioral, and biological characteristics, or activity patterns used to extract a template or other identifier or identifying information, such as, fingerprints, faceprints, and voiceprints, iris or retina scans, keystroke, gait, or other physical patterns, and sleep, health, or exercise data.||NO|
|F. Internet or other similar network activity.||Browsing history, search history, information on a consumer’s interaction with a website, application, or advertisement.||YES|
|G. Geolocation data.||Physical location or movements.||YES|
|H. Sensory data.||Audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information.||NO|
|I. Professional or employment-related information.||Current or past job history or performance evaluations.||N/A|
|J. Non-public education information (per the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. Section 1232g, 34 C.F.R. Part 99)).||Education records directly related to a student maintained by an educational institution or party acting on its behalf, such as grades, transcripts, class lists, student schedules, student identification codes, student financial information, or student disciplinary records.||NO|
|K. Inferences drawn from other personal information.||Profile reflecting a person’s preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes.||NO|
Personal information does not include:
- Publicly available information from government records.
- De-identified or aggregated consumer information.
- Information excluded from the CCPA’s scope, like:
- health or medical information covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) and the California Confidentiality of Medical Information Act (CMIA) or clinical trial data;
- personal information covered by certain sector-specific privacy laws, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FRCA), the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) or California Financial Information Privacy Act (FIPA), and the Driver’s Privacy Protection Act of 1994.
We obtain the categories of personal information listed above from the following categories of sources:
- Directly from our customers or our partners. For example, from information customers provide to us or through our third party partners, related to the services for which they engage us.
- Directly and indirectly from activity on our website (www.shipengine.com), application, and/or webclient, as applicable. For example, from submissions through our website portal or website usage details collected automatically.
- From third parties that interact with us in connection with the services we perform.
Use of Personal Information
We may use or disclose the personal information we collect for one or more of the following business purposes:
- To fulfill or meet the reason for which the information is provided. For example, if you provide us with personal information in order for us to prepare a shipping label, we will use that information to prepare the label.
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us.
- To provide you with email alerts and other notices concerning our products or services, or events or news, that may be of interest to you.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collections.
- To improve our website and present its contents to you.
- For testing, research, analysis and product development.
- As necessary or appropriate to protect the rights of our clients or others.
- To respond to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order, or governmental regulations.
- As described to you when collecting your personal information or as otherwise set forth in the CCPA.
- To evaluate or conduct a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by us is among the assets transferred.
We will not collect additional categories of personal information or use the personal information we collected for materially different, unrelated, or incompatible purposes without providing you notice.
Sharing Personal Information
We may disclose your personal information to a third party for a business purpose. When we disclose personal information for a business purpose, we enter a contract that describes the purpose and requires the recipient to both keep that personal information confidential and not use it for any purpose except performing the contract.
In the preceding twelve (12) months, we have disclosed the following categories of personal information for a business purpose:
Category A: Identifiers.
Category B: California Customer Records personal information categories.
Category D: Commercial Information.
Category F: Internet or other similar network activity
Category G: Geolocation data.
We disclose your personal information for a business purpose to the following categories of third parties:
- Our affiliates.
- Service providers.
- Third-party partners in connection with products or services we provide to you.
To improve our services, we have provided limited identifiers (including name and postal address) and limited commercial information to our parent company. The actions taken by us may be considered a “sale” under the CCPA, but we received no monies for providing said information.
Your Rights and Choices
The CCPA provides consumers (California residents) with specific rights regarding their personal information. This section describes your CCPA rights and explains how to exercise those rights.
Access to Specific Information and Data Portability Rights
You have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your personal information over the past 12 months. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will disclose to you:
- The categories of personal information we collected about you.
- The categories of sources for the personal information we collected about you.
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling that personal information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share that personal information.
- The specific pieces of personal information we collected about you (also called a data portability request).
- If we sold or disclosed your personal information for a business purpose, two separate lists disclosing:
- sales, identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient purchased; and
- disclosures for a business purpose, identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient obtained.
Deletion Request Rights
You have the right to request that we delete any of your personal information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your personal information from our records, unless an exception applies.
We may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service providers to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the personal information, provide a good or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform our contract with you.
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
- Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights, or exercise another right provided for by law.
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 seq.).
- Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the information’s deletion may likely render impossible or seriously impair the research’s achievement, if you previously provided informed consent.
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us.
- Comply with a legal obligation.
- Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
Exercising Access, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights
To exercise the access, data portability, and deletion rights described above, please submit a verifiable consumer request to us by either:
- Visiting: https://www.shipengine.com/ccpa
- Emailing the request to [email protected]
- Calling: +1 855 463 9453
Only you or a person having the legal authority to act on your behalf, may make a verifiable consumer request related to your personal information. You may also make a verifiable consumer request on behalf of your minor child.
You may only make a verifiable consumer request for access or data portability twice within a 12-month period. The verifiable consumer request must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal information or an authorized representative.
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
- If you are a current customer of Company, you must log into your account and process any request through the application and/or webclient, as applicable.
We may be unable to respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the personal information relates to you. Making a verifiable consumer request does not require you to create an account with us. We will only use personal information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor’s identity or authority to make the request.
Response Timing and Format
We endeavor to respond to a verifiable consumer request within 45 days of its receipt. If we require more time (up to 90 days), we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing. If you have an account with us, we will deliver our written response to that account. If you do not have an account with us, we will deliver our written response by mail or electronically, at your option. Any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding the verifiable consumer request’s receipt. The response we provide will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request, if applicable. For data portability requests, we will select a format to provide your personal information that is readily useable.
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your verifiable consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights. Unless permitted by the CCPA, we will not:
- Deny you goods or services.
- Charge you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties.
- Provide you a different level or quality of goods or services.
- Suggest that you may receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
Changes to Our Privacy Addendum
We reserve the right to amend this privacy addendum at our discretion and at any time. When we make changes to this privacy addendum, we will notify you by email or through an addendum on our website homepage.
If you have any questions or comments about this addendum, our Privacy Statement, the ways in which we collect and use your personal information, your choices and rights regarding such use, or wish to exercise your rights under California law, please do not hesitate to contact us at:
3800 N Lamar Blvd, #220
Austin, TX 78756