Similar to seasonal price adjustments announced by the USPS, FedEx has unveiled peak season surcharges and fees for its Express Ground services. These new surcharges and fees will generally go into effect on Sept. 5, 2022, and run through January 2023.
Like all parcel carriers, FedEx has been overwhelmed by demand in recent years. These additional surcharges and fees are designed to help FedEx align its pricing with its operational costs during the highest-volume months for shipping.
See below for more details on the FedEx price increase for late 2022 and early 2023, as well as how to get in touch with us to talk about your carrier strategy and overall shipping needs.
Specific FedEx Price Increases & When They Apply
While the FedEx price increase will generally start Sept. 5, 2022, and then early next year, there are important details for ecommerce companies to be aware of. Here’s a rundown of FedEx’s specific surcharges and fees, plus when they begin and expire:
- Peak Additional Handling Surcharge: A charge of $6.55 per package will apply to US Express Package Services, US Ground Services, and International Ground Service between Oct. 3, 2022 and Jan. 12, 2023.
- Peak Oversize Charge: A charge of $68.75 per package will apply to US Express Package Services, US Ground Services and International Ground Service between Oct. 3, 2022 and Jan. 12, 2023.
- Peak Ground Unauthorized Package Charge: A charge of $380 per package will apply to US Ground Services and International Ground Service between Oct. 3, 2022 and Jan. 15, 2023.
- Peak Surcharge: A charge of $1.50 per package will apply to FedEx Ground Economy Package Services from Oct. 31 to Nov. 27, 2022. A charge of $2.50 per package will apply from Nov. 28 to Dec. 11, 2022. And a charge of $1.50 per package will apply from Dec. 12, 2022 through Jan. 15, 2023.
- Peak Residential Delivery Charge: A charge based on FedEx’s Peaking Factor Chart will apply to FedEx Express and FedEx Ground shipments in the US (excluding FedEx Ground Economy and FedEx One Rate packages) starting Oct. 31, 2022, and ending Jan. 15, 2022.
For more information on FedEx’s additional surcharges and fees for the 2022 peak season, visit the carrier’s Peak Surcharges and Fees page.
Take Advantage of Your Carrier Options
While many carriers are adjusting prices for the busiest shipping months of the year, using multiple carriers and giving yourself options can deliver real savings this peak season. At ShipEngine, we offer users 70-plus pre-built carrier integrations, including parcel carriers, LTL carriers, domestic carriers, regional carriers, international carriers plus more.
Get in touch with us to talk about your carrier strategy and how you can save this peak season with ShipEngine. You can also get a free API key and start building for yourself.
Leave a Reply