As October turns to November, ecommerce businesses start preparing for the increased volume that accompanies the holiday season. This year, fulfilling orders and shipping via the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) will be a little bit more expensive than fulfillment earlier in 2020.
For the first time ever, the USPS has implemented a holiday surcharge that will be in effect from Oct. 18 through Dec. 27, 2020. This is a temporary rate change that the USPS has implemented to help offset the added complexity and expense of operations during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Here’s a look at how prices will increase for different services:
- Parcel Select Lightweight: $0.24 increase
- First Class Package Commercial: $0.25
- Priority Mail Commercial: $0.40
- Parcel Select Ground: $0.40
- Parcel Select DSCF: $0.40
- Parcel Select DNDC: $0.40
- Priority Mail Express Commercial: $1.50
- Flat Rate Envelopes: $0.40
- Legal Flat Rate Envelopes: $0.40
- Padded Flat Rate Envelopes: $0.40
- Small Flat Rate Box: $0.40
- Medium Flat Rate Boxes: $0.40
- Large Flat Rate Boxes: $0.40
- APO/FPO/DPO Large Flat Rate Boxes: $0.40
These holiday-related surcharges should not be confused with the USPS’s annual rate change. Late in each year, the USPS announces rate increases that go into effect early in the following year. Expect an announcement in the coming weeks regarding permanent rate increases for 2021.
As always, the ShipEngine team is here to help you solve shipping and navigate the busy holiday season. For support or more information on how this surcharge impacts ShipEngine users, visit this page in our Help Center.